Machine Guns - Silencers - Rifles/Pistols/Shotguns

Police & Tactical Supply - Firearms Training


New Products & Specials
Police Department & Government Agency Sales
Individual Sales
Firearms Training Classes

Yard Sale Items

Ordering Information


How you can legally own a Machine Gun, Silencer, or Short Barreled Rifle/Shotgun

 Send Email to IPS

We are interested in BUYING your Class III weapons, either singles or whole collections. Please Email us and let us know what you have.


Recommended Links


Logon to IPS Email 

Requirements for Purchasing Machine Guns, Silencers, or Short Barreled Rifles/Shotguns

It is a common misconception that machine guns, silencers (suppressors), sawed-off shotguns, and short barreled rifles are illegal to own. This is entirely untrue. Your Constitutional Right to Bear Arms is guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. The National Firearms Act of 1934 (Title 26, USC Chapter 53) and the Gun Control Act of 1968 make formal provisions for the private ownership of these weapons. Individuals (ie. non-firearms dealer or police dept.) are allowed to purchase machineguns that are classified as "Transferable", that is, weapons that were registered as machine guns prior to May of 1986. Since there are a finite number of these weapons, prices are continually rising. Silencers, Sawed-off Shotguns, and Short Barreled Rifles are still in current productions, so the prices of these items remains fairly constant. For an Individual the requirements to purchase these weapons are:

1. Be a US Citizen at least 21 years old
2. Be of sane mind
3. Not an abuser of drugs or alcohol
4. Have never been convicted of a felony
5. Pay a $200.00 Federal Transfer Tax on each weapon purchased. (This is a one-time tax, not a yearly tax)
6. Fill out BATF Form 4 and submit to ATF. This involves getting a Signature of the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" in your area signifying that he has no knowledge that you will use your weapon for anything other that lawful purposes
7. Have your fingerprints/photographs taken and submitted to BATF with the above application.

After approximately 90-120 days, during which time the FBI runs your prints to verify your identity, etc., the transfer will come back approved. Only after the transfer is approved can you take possession of your item. It is interesting to note that since 1934, when machine guns, silencers, short shotguns/rifles began to be regulated, there has only been one case of a legally owned weapon being used in a crime - and the user was a police officer.

In areas where a person cannot acquire a Law Enforcement Signature because these people would rather violate your rights than let you own one of these items, there is another way. BATF allows Corporations and Trusts to acquire machine guns, silencers, etc. without having to complete the Law Enforcement Certification part of the form. If you have your own Corporation, or you are an Officer in a Corporation, the Corporation can acquire these items, and you, as a Corporate Officer, can keep the item at your home, take it to the range shooting, etc. just as if the item were registered to you. If the Corporation ever dissolves, the item must be transferred out of the Corporation to another individual or Corporation (or Dealer). Because a Corporation is not a person, an FBI fingerprint check is not required which reduces the transfer approval time to about 30 days.  Trusts can be set up by an Attorney and will allow you to transfer the item to the Trust, and will not require the Law Enforcement signature on your paperwork.

Many states allow the ownership of legally registered machine guns, silencers, short-barreled rifles/shotguns.  At International Police Supply, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality products and services at the most reasonable prices. Please feel free to e-mail us to discuss your firearms needs or to ask us any questions about acquiring specialized weapons or accessories.

Machineguns are ILLEGAL for individuals in the following States:

DE, DC, HI, NY, WA ;  Class 3 dealer only in : CA, IL, IO, KS, MI, NJ, RI, SC


Silencers are ILLEGAL for individuals in the following States (see map below):

DE, DC, HI, IL, MS, MT, NY, NJ, RI; Class 3 dealers only in : CA, KS, MO, MN

The NRA website is a good source of information on State Firearms Laws. If you have questions about what is legal in your state, check here....NRA WEB SITE

(this entire page is Copyrighted by International Police Supply, and may not be used in any form without prior permission of International Police Supply)

NEW: We are an FN, SIG & HK dealer as well as a Bushmaster Distributor.  


Copyright 2004 - International Police Supply